Dutch Egg Cakes – Warren the 13th and The All-Seeing Eye
- 2 eggs
- 90g of sugar
- 100g of flour (regular flour will do fine, but you can make them browner (and
healthier!) by using whole-wheat flour or spelt flour)
- 1 lemon (half a lemon to be precise, only using the zest)
- 1/2 tsp. of baking powder
- bakery paper
- baking tray
- Preheat oven at 180 ºC
- Beat eggs with the sugar until you get a thick mixture
- Grate half of the lemon zest and fold together with the flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt through the egg mixture. Make sure you don’t fold for too long to prevent all the air going out of the batter
- Divide 6 piles of batter onto a baking sheet. Make sure the batter is well apart, because the egg cakes will drift towards each other
- Bake the egg cakes in the oven for about 10 minutes until they’re golden brown. If you bake them for too long, they become dry as fuck.
You can eat them just like that (which is how I always eat them), but you can also top them with an icing, jam (ugh), powdered sugar etc. etc.